February 21, 2010

'Ello, 'ello, 'ello...

We had a bit of excitement this morning. Early this morning.

Around 5am I was woken up by an altercation next door. I was aware of it going on for maybe 5-10 minutes, but then I drifted off again.

At 6am we had Greater Manchester police knocking on the door gathering information because there had been what the officer called a “serious incident” next door. Roy went down and said that he'd not heard anything, which is to be expected if he's sleeping on his left side because he only has 40% hearing in his right ear. When he told me what the fuss was about I told him that, unlike him, I had heard noises an hour or so earlier.

I then phoned Greater Manchester police to volunteer this information and before long, the plod was knocking on the door again to take my statement.

The fact that the officer seemed very interested in knowing if I'd heard any bumps or smashes and that he referred to the events as a "serious incident" lead me to believe that someone may have been hurt. The occupant next door is, I believe, a single mother with two children aged 5 and 7. Did she break down and hurt one of her children? Did the father pay a surprise visit and get more than he bargained for, or dish out some tough love? I don't know. The police wouldn't say what had happened.

I'll have to keep an eye on the Bolton News.

Update: at around 3pm, forensics officers took away what looked like a bag of clothes. We know what they're usually looking for when they do that...

Update 21/03/2010: about 10.30 this morning I received a call from Bolton CID. DC Debbie Dixon wanted to come round and take an official statement from me that would be entered into the case for the forthcoming trial. We agreed that she'd come at 1pm that day.

While she was writing up the statement from the answers I'd provided, I quizzed her about what actually happened. She didn't want to give anything away that might interfere with the case, but I did find out that our neighbour had sent her two children away for the night and that it was her estranged partner (and father of the children) who assaulted her that morning at 5am.

Given that the man was already there at 5am and that the children had been sent away for the night, it is reasonable to assume that this was an attempt at reconciliation, which went very wrong.

The man is currently in custody awaiting the trial, which is slated to begin on August 16th at Manchester Crown Court and go on for 5 days. If the defendant pleads not guilty or if his account doesn't tally with details of my statement, then I might be called to give evidence in the witness box.


PsychoMania said...

Sounds like a nasty one if they were speaking to people at that time of day.

Was it the same house that you had noise trouble with last year?

G. Stewart said...

No, last year's troublmakers are opposite us. This house is next door to us.

I'll add updates to this article as and when I get more info.